Using Blu-U Therapy for Acne Treatments
If you suffer from mild acne, Blu-U light can be used on its own without any need for topical medication. It is a special light that can kill the acne bacteria in your skin. Treatments are simple, painless and safe.
For persistent blemishes or more severe acne, a combination of Blu-U Photodynamic treatments also provide effective therapy of sun damaged skin and can effectively reduce and treat various actinic keratoses (sun spots) or other lesions. The treatment is both therapeutic and preventative. Minimal downtime is required and the treatment can be undertaken even if your skin is suntanned. Photodynamic Therapy will assist in maintaining or regaining healthy skin and will also lead to a smoother, rejuvenated appearance. Usually one or two treatments are required. Blu U light and a topical medication called Levulan or ALA may also be considered. The ALA is applied to the skin where it sits for about one hour. You then sit under the light which activates the compound and attacks the acne bacteria. Usually 3-5 treatments are scheduled at intervals of 4 weeks. Most individuals experience long term improvement following Blu-U Photodynamic Therapy treatments, making this choice an appealing alternative to internal medications. Blu-U light treatment often works when pills, scrubs, peels and topical products have failed.
Blu-U acne light works with all skin types. Blue light photodynamic therapy acts by killing acne causing bacteria, overactive oil glands and premalignant skin cells and precancers. Blue Light or Blu-U is a state-of-the-art system and the latest technique in photofacial therapy. The blue light system delivers painless light of blue color that greatly enhances the results of your skin rejuvenation. Levulan (5-Amino Levulinic Acid) is a medication that is applied to the skin. This medication makes acne-causing bacteria and precancerous sun spots more sensitive to the Blu-U (Blue Light) treatments.
Blu-U Levulan Photodynamic acne treatment involves three mechanisms of action against acne. Levulan treatment inactivates the bacteria that trigger acne, exfoliates the skin to unclog pores, and shuts down the oil glands (sebaceous glands) in the skin. This can produce long-lasting improvement. Levulan acne therapy can even work in patients who have failed with prescription pills.
Results with Levulan PDT are especially impressive when compared with conventional treatments, such as topical medicines and oral antibiotics.
Levulan Photodynamic Therapy using Blue Light can be used for non-surgical skin rejuvenation. This procedure results in significant improvement in precancerous conditions such as actinic keratoses, sun damaged skin and potentially superficial skin cancers. Levulan is revolutionizing how we perform skin rejuvenation and how we treat sun-damaged skin.
Levulan is preferentially absorbed by precancerous cells. When combined with Blue light the Levulan kills the cells, and leaves the normal skin unharmed. It has the added benefit of skin cancer prevention – killing abnormal cells BEFORE they can become a skin cancer. Levulan can also be used for:
• Removing precancerous skin lesions
• Improving skin texture
• Treating sebaceous hyperplasia (enlarged oil glands)
The Blu-U treatment is very safe. The blue-violet light penetrates just deep enough into the tissue to reach the acne target. It contains no ionizing radiation. Even though there is no evidence of complications, we will not perform this treatment if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
To prepare for treatment your face should be cleansed with soap and water and free of any oil. Ladies need to be make-up free during the treatment. Make-up may be re-applied immediately after the treatment.
After treatment, you can expect:
• There will be redness, and occasionally, mild blistering or bruising of the treated areas lasting from several hours to 3-14 days. This will depend on the sensitivity of your skin and the severity of your sun damage. Most people are completely healed within 7 days.
• The treated area might “crust”, “flake”, or look like a “cat scratch.” Some crusting and scabbing is considered a good result. This should resolve within 3-14 days.
• Your skin will be more sensitive for a few days up to a couple of weeks after your treatment.
There should be some discomfort, but no significant pain.
• After 1 week, there might be some residual redness that will subside after a few days and can be covered with make-up.
Special precautions after your treatment:
• Keep the treated area out of the sun and bright lights for 48 hours. Exposure to the sun within this time period can lead to a severe blistering burn in the areas that were treated.
• If outdoor exposure sun is unavoidable, wear a hat with a brim, cover your face with a scarf, wear large sunglasses and use sunscreen. Sunscreen alone is not enough protection to prevent a burn in the first 48 hours after treatment.
• You should continue to use sunscreen daily following treatment regardless of the time of year or if it is overcast or cloudy. Sun exposure may lead to the production of blotchy dark pigmentation which may take several months to fade.
• Avoid excessive heat exposure such as saunas, steam rooms, hot showers or baths, and strenuous exercising for 24 hours. This prevents the risk of blistering.
• You can return to normal activities immediately after treatment, as long as you avoid bright light and sunlight for 48 hours.
• Avoid any aggressive skin care products such as scrubs, exfoliants, alpha or beta hydroxy acid products.
• Keep clothing from rubbing the treated area and avoid other irritation to the area.
• Do not get hairspray on the treated area.
• Notify the office should you have any prolonged redness, excessive puffiness, or other unusual side effects.
Specific instructions regarding cleansers, moisturizers and sunscreen use will be provided to you on the day of your treatment. Typically, treatment sessions are approximately 90 minutes long, once per month. Precancerous sun spots (actinic keratoses) require one to 4 treatments with annual maintenance. Acne usually requires 4 to 8 treatments, with maintenance every 4 to 6 months. It is important to keep the treatment appointments that have been recommended. By following the treatment plan, you’ll see maximum results and enjoy clearer skin.